Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Happenings

Ok, enough of having Liam's sad post as the last post on this blog. I may have fallen off the blog wagon, but let's have a change of scenery. It's long overdue.

My garden is at it again this year: Sunflowers, green bush beans, broccoli, piquante peppers, cantaloupe, and butternut squash.

Horses have been rather sad and confusing for me. I took a month off from working at the farm (but offered to pitch in 4th of July weekend when BO looked short handed and didn't want to ask me to come in). I liked not having an obligation to go to the barn. I liked choosing to go out there, and choosing to ride or not. Going because I wanted to, not because I had to work, do wound care, do meds, monitor healing, monitor exercise etc.

You definitely only drive 1200 miles in one horse shopping weekend because you want to.

I've been borrowing a school horse because Madonna both went to her new home (her owner bought a farm to keep her horses at her house) and became super super strange to ride (head flipping/shaking, body twitching, general weirdness). The school horse is a dutch mare in her 20s that has enough attitude and motion to keep you working but is totally safe. She is doing wonders for my confidence... one of the sale horses I saw in March destroyed my confidence and I've been having trouble getting it back ever since. An almost year of tack walking doesn't help rusty skills that are very rattled.

Went to Canada again! Love visiting Canada.

I've been looking for a new horse, and I went to see one twice before ultimately deciding he wasn't for me. I also realized I have an inability to go with my gut when shopping for myself, despite being able to do it for others. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding something I like in my budget, so it probably also has something to do with "if I pass on this horse, I'll never find another" when in reality that's not true. I have another in the works that was so out of budget but went to see him anyway and I LOVED riding him.

I ADORE our set up this year. Husband bought a small farm tractor this spring to help with some projects around the yard (regrading to help yard flooding issues, see the seeded area to the right) and building some retaining walls. Since he had the tools, he tilled a section of the yard to grow corn and pumpkins, because why not and the neighbors already know we're crazy.

I've been battling what seems like depression. Sure, Liam's death caused "surface" unhappiness. Of course I'm going to be sad and upset. This whole last year has been incredibly sad and disheartening. I think I finally understand what they mean when they say "you don't enjoy the things you used to." I went to the barn the other week to maybe ride and to talk to people and all of a sudden I just wanted to go home. I didn't want to be there anymore. I didn't want to go back ever. It was a lot deeper than not wanting to be there because I don't have a horse anymore. However, I have no idea what to do with myself besides horses and I have no interest in developing a new interest that is just as time consuming (I already nurture a liking for gardening and biking). I've had that feeling several times, but more and more time inbetween so I consider it "getting better", but I still like to keep to myself when I am at the barn.

The squash have taken over on the right and the beans have taken over on the left. It's a jungle in there, and the squash are trying to escape out the door!

That feeling combined with confidence issues have definitely held sway in what I've been shopping for: fun, safe, sound, sane have been number 1 on the list, followed by dressage ability/movement.

A solid hit to the head, courtesy of clumsiness and an iron beam.

Of course everything has been slightly derailed by me getting a concussion last week. It wasn't even horse related! Pure clumsiness. I went out to get breakfast at work downtown, and as I was focused on stepping down off a curb then crossing an alley while walking around a tall bed construction truck, I walked directly into a rusty iron beam sticking out the back of the truck. Didn't even see it. I scraped the top of my head to the point of bleeding, so I went up to the PCP/health services in my building to have them make sure there wasn't metal in my head, that it was just a surface scratch, and to get a tetanus shot. A week later and I'm still dealing with side effects- mild headaches that happen when I look at screens for too long, motion sickness, ear pressure issues up and down hills, and eye strain. I'm not driving very far these days because 10 minutes can sometimes cause eye strain issues that make it difficult to focus. I'm just driving straightforward roads to the bus stop and back. I'm obviously not riding, nor am I driving myself to the barn. I started biking again, which I've had to stop again.

Life continues to be exciting, despite a lack of horses. I have some very good things going on, but I think I've earned the right to express, "ffs, why is it always me?"

Anywho, more to come.

16 comments:

  1. just commenting to say I feel you so hard, and the insult to injury is definitely walking into a pole!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW you feel it- I read your post about not being hungry anymore... I am totally there and in search of a new partner that I hope will bring back the joy in horses for me.

      Delete
  2. <3
    Be gentle with yourself. You've been through a lot these last few years and there is nothing wrong with taking time away from the barn to get your spark back. Hell, emotions are a roller-coaster and you are entitled to feel however you want to feel. Life can be so daunting sometimes, and I am glad you have a wonderful barn family that isn't pushing your boundaries and is respecting you <3 Wishing you nothing but happiness now, and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has been so supportive, and my barn family must have had a chat before I came back to ride because not one person asked me about Liam, or expressed condolences (all had previously over things like FB). They all seemed to know I couldn't and didn't want to talk about it. Thank you for the well wishes :)

      Delete
  3. i'm so sorry that things are happening the way they are :(

    your garden looks wonderful tho, hopefully that trend of happy thriving growth will translate into other areas of your life soon <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nurture nature and maybe some nurturing will come back to me? I hope so!

      Delete
  4. OUCH! Your poor head! Need to get you down here to the mountains for a super confidence building weekend on Stanimal surrounded by some beautiful views. Mountain air is good medicine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! Once I'm driving and riding again, haha!

      Delete
  5. It will come back. Take your time. When I lost my beloved horse of 13 years I completely walked away from everything horse. I didn't aatch them on tv, read about them, or view them on the internet. It took about two years for the itch to start up again in the fall (always the fall for me) and then on the third year I tried a part lease. Another year or two later and I was back in with both feet.
    My one piece of advice that I will pass on that was given to me is don't sell your stuff! Store it properly and when you start up again you won't have to start from scratch. Of course, all my rider stuff somehow shrank in storage. I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not selling anything! Beyond not knowing what I'll need for the next horse (maybe some of it will fit), I rather like my current collection! The rider stuff is DEFINITELY shrinking in this brief semi-hiatus from horses. A fact that is not helped with a head injury that doesn't even let me walk around for long or go biking!

      Delete
  6. <3 I feel a lot of this so hard. Don't beat yourself up (and it doesn't sound like you are), just do what feels good. I'm always around if you ever want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ❤ I've reached a good level of "I'm going to do what I want with horses, and buy what I want because I have to live with it." Maybe what I get isn't a fancy FEI prospect, but I at least have a good feel for 3rd level prospects, and that will keep me happy for a long time.

      Delete
  7. You are just being hit from all directions (ha, see what I did there). But seriously horses will be there when you are ready and want to return. And if you don't, that's ok too. Number one priority is your health and happiness. And if you are looking for a schoolie in a few years I will ship you Hampton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1, the pun is fabulous.
      2, yes, horses will always be there. I'm not ready to give up, despite my claims of taking up goldfish keeping.
      3, Ha, I already have a plan to come steal him!

      Delete
  8. So sorry, as someone who has lived with depression my whole life it can be unsettling, unnerving, and unmooring. You just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually you'll get out of the fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I've been trying to do. I have been continuing to do things even though I don't want to, because I know at some point I'll hit something that makes me feel the love and joy again. I found it cantering the school horse the first time I managed to influence her canter. I stopped and cried because I had so much fun just cantering.

      Delete