Well since Penn has been wearing it overnight, it is now poop stained, despite several washes.
|Best I could do while trying to stand back enough to get a big picture, but also hold the blanket open, haha.|
Seeing as how we just can't have that, I decided to dye the blanket navy. Could I really make it any worse than it was before? Nah.
Enter RIT dye + hot water.
|Navy dye in a tub!|
Insert blanket. Plus funny stick that Husband widdled from a random piece of wood from the wood pile.
|Stir constantly for 30-60min. What? I may not have followed that to a T. I opted for fully submerged.|
|Blue!! So pretty. Cold hosing the excess dye out of the blanket (See blue going down drain).|
After dying and then cold hosing until the water ran clear, it was time to put the blanket in the washer with warm water and soap.
|Last look at that nice blue color.|
|While not that lovely deep blue color, it is still better than poop stained white.|
Next was taking care of a rip in the shoulder. I should have mended it first, but I was anxious to get it clean (no one wants to mend before washing out poop) and then I wanted to dye it so I could pick the right blue thread (which ended up not mattering).
|Iron on patches and extra sewing with a machine to make sure it holds!|
There was no mending the blanket with thread- the knit was coming apart and the loops had torn, so it wasn't possible to weave them back together. I sewed up the edges as best I could, then found some iron on patches and went to town!
Another side project I've been wanting to do was making a strap for Penn's head bumper. I had been using a stirrup keeper as a strap, except that's not long enough to meet the cheek rings on Penn's fancy show halter.
|So much fancy.|
I measured over his head, from snap to snap, last weekend and decided to make my strap while I had the machine out.
When I bought my trailer, I thought I wanted mangers for hay, so I bought Baker Crossties and Husband cut them to length. I've had these approximately 18" long pieces just hanging around for 5 years. Time to put them to use!
|First I overlapped about 3" and sewed the ends together.|
|All measured and ready to sew!|
|One finished sped-head.|
And on to the final products, on the horse:
|He's so freaking cute.|
|Pretty with his sped-head!|