So new goals are in order. Sigh. I hemmed and hawed over what to do for a week. It pained me to do it, but I have to because I am lost without them.
|Making my goals smarter.|
2017 Main Goals
- At least one score at first level (recognized) over 70% - Because if we're going to repeat, let's do it in style.
- Second Level Rider Award - I need one more score.
- Bronze Medal - I need two Third Level scores.
- Region 2 Championships at First Level - Go there and compete, and do it well (top 5 or 67%+)
2017 Stretch Goals
- Earn one Dover Medal - Because medals are cool.
- US Dressage Finals at First Level - Because he's leaps ahead of where he was last year.
I already emailed the schooling show series I entered back in December and had them change my entry from 2-3 and 3-1 to 1-3 and 2-3 for the two remaining shows. I will continue to practice 2-3 at schooling shows because 1) I have no desire to ride any other first or second level tests since I do not plan on riding them ever, 2) it's a schooling show and not recorded anywhere except here, and 3) it'll give me an indicator on how his second level engagement at canter is progressing according to someone other than GP Trainer.
I will have to repeat any 2nd and 3rd work we end up doing during next year's show season because Penn will not be ready for anything more by the end of next year, so all of the 2nd/3rd level goals will be for next year as we get very solid at those levels and work on being able to mix the two easily.
GP Trainer seemed to think he'd be leaps and bounds ahead in six months, so August/Sept/Oct we'll find somewhere to make a 3rd level recognized debut. By then he should be a ton stronger and we'll hopefully have sorted out his flying changes. I still plan on doing 2nd around June, because I think by then we'll be 60% ish. Maybe we'll be able to push other stuff forward in time, but for now I have other stuff to work on. Like qualifying all over again at first level and positively rocking its socks off. I thought about doing a first level freestyle, but I don't have time for that (or access to a standard size dressage ring to properly ride/get musical timing/practice it).
I watched our trot-work video the other day, and then our championship test rolled directly afterwards. He's so much better now than he was then (and I'm so much better too), and we managed a 66% for 9th place. I would hope a year later and ready (or almost ready) for 3rd would mean we'd be able to completely rock first level and do extremely well in the championship test and hopefully earn a ticket to finals.
I still believe we will hit 2nd and 3rd this year, just not in time to get 3-3 qualified for September championships, and I won't have time to get comfortable enough with the test enough for that anyway.
|Still has some meat to it, hopefully more appropriate.|
NODA in July is more of a "do you want to go somewhere" and then "who knows what we'll be ready for" type thing.
I also made another very difficult decision. I am going to stop lessoning with Trainer. I would love the eyes checking our work at home, but I can't afford to lesson with Trainer and GP Trainer, especially since I'm going to make a huge effort to see GP Trainer once a month. I am hoping Trainer understands; we've been together for almost 10 years. She is an event rider, and an excellent trainer, but Penn and I are knocking on 3rd level, which is as high as she rides for Advanced, and I want to go well past 3rd. Just a bunch of hard decisions coming around these days.