Thursday, October 19, 2017

At Least Show Season is Done?

Penn and I walked up to the gate together Wednesday night.
Took me less than a second to go WTF IS WRONG WITH YOUR HOOF.
Apparently moderate panic levels make me incapable of taking a picture that isn't blurry.
I washed it with microtec, then some other medicated shampoo, then medicated spray to kill any bacteria.
I went to Tractor Supply to buy corona ointment to put on it Thursday.
I didn't notice the heel bruising until I scrubbed up the whole hoof.
He did a super job stepping on himself.
That's a scab in there btw, not dirt.

I fully expect him to blow some abscesses from this incident. He's only mildly lame- he walks fine, trots to the left a bit inconsistent, but trots to the right very mildly lame. I expect him to become sound again and then 3 legged in the next few weeks.

One of the farriers at the barn took a look at it- she wasn't comfortable trimming off the flap. She thought it would help protect the cut on the coronary band. She said to just let it dry out and fall off on it's own.

Of course it's not an "OMG YOU'RE DYING," but it is a "sigh, really?" He was working so well. The clinic is on hold- if he's sound by Saturday he'll go, otherwise... oh well, I'll have to catch her next time!

Oh, and yes, I ordered him bell boots already, and he'll start wearing them as soon as this heals enough that it won't get rubbed back open. He's never had a problem before now... but apparently he's going to try damaging all his legs via interference: he cut himself nicely on the right hind, then hooked the inside of his left front when he was freaking out that he was alone in his field. This was the right front that he probably landed on from a twisty buck. Please Penn, you do not need to damage the left hind! I do not want to have the barn bubble wrap your legs again...

16 comments:

  1. YIKES that looked SO much scarier before you cleaned it up! Glad it's just a relatively minor ding and hoping Penn heals up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, I walked in from the field and was like "do I need to call the vet?" Def doesn't look so bad when cleaned. He should be back in no time!

      Delete
  2. Omg Penn, get you life together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUP. Spirit Animal Hampton does this too. Which is why he lives in bell boots. Yay short backs?? errr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penn has been so good about it for 2 years! "I promise not to step all over myself!" Darn him. Now I have to sell my soul to the bell boot gods.

      Delete
  4. ugh boo :( that looks a lot like speedy's injury from bakersfield dressage, which was apparently more serious than it looked? idk i hope he's fine asap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speedy was the first thing in my mind when I pulled Penn out of the field! Luckily, this is much less significant than Speedy's injury. It *should* just need time to become not ouchy, and grow down just a bit.

      Delete
  5. That did look REALLY scary. Glad to see that it's not as bad as it first looked and fingers crossed that he recovers very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought him back to the barn with a set of very crazy eyes, because yea, it looked really freaking scary until I got it washed up. He was a bit sounder tonight, but not 100%. It's so inconsistent, and he's so wobbly, it's really hard to tell what is lame and what is him just being him. I'm going to ride him lightly tomorrow night to check it out.

      Delete
  6. My guy is always doing this! So annoying, glad it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Penn is going to live in bell boots from now on!

      Delete
  7. Well darn it! That looks very similar to what Speedy just did. 😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, these ponies just need to stop trying to damage themselves!

      Delete
  8. Ugh, Poor Penn! Fingers crossed he doesn't throw a wrench in healing by developing an abscess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good! But I'm sure it'll pop up in a few weeks.

      Delete